There have been some confusing and contradictory statements by the famous jailbreakers, their unofficial public face – @veeence and many forums and blogs online.
Every where I search, it says that Beta 2 is Gevey proof. Yes it does work, doesn’t matter whether you jailbreak or not. In this post, you’ll get to know the TRUTH about Gevey Unlock and a guide to make it run on iOS 5 Beta 2 :)
I’ve tried and tested Gevey Turbo SIM on both iOS 5 Beta 1 & 2, and here some pointers:
- Gevey Turbo SIM works fine if you are running iOS 5 Beta 1
- If you upgrade to Beta 2 by the usual iTunes process, then Gevey will stop working
- Upgrade using sn0wbreeze 2.8 (Windows only) [Download Link] to Beta 2, and your baseband will be preserved. That way, Gevey will work
- sn0wbreeze will give your phone a tethered jailbreak.
–If you reboot without a computer available, you’ll lose the jailbreak. Hence Cydia and Cydia apps will crash. Gevey works
–If you reboot using iBooty on a computer (hence tethered boot), then jailbroken apps will work. BUT, Gevey might not work immediately. Tethered reboot a couple of times and it will work
- You can always downgrade from Beta 1 or Beta 2 back to iOS 4.3.3 and it will automatically downgrade your baseband version also, hence making Gevey work again on 4.3.3
[Tutorial to make Gevey work on iOS 5 Beta 2]:
- Download sn0wbreeze 2.8 (Windows only) [Download Link]
- Drag n Drop iOS 5 beta 2 ipsw file
- You can choose “Baseband Preservation Mode” and go on upgrading without jailbreaking. Jump to step 5
- Select “Simple Mode” to start your process with jailbreaking + upgrading to iOS 5 Beta 2 without upgrading Baseband
- It’ll take some time and export a custom ipsw named “sn0wbreeze_iPhone 4-5.0b2.ipsw”
- Click on “Run iReb” to open iTunes so that you can use that ipsw to install on your iPhone 4
- That’s it!
If you have any queries regarding this issue, then please drop down a comment, and I’ll get back to you.
(I currently don’t have screenshots to show it to you, but rest assured they work. I was the 1st one to tip it to veeence who then tweeted that “some people are reporting that Gevey works on Beta 2″)
(The tweet where I mentioned that Gevey doesn’t work with tethered boot, but shortly after, it worked.)